Subject: Re: xine won't play dvd-rw
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/26/2005 09:21:29
On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 05:47:28PM +0300, Jukka Marin wrote:
> I've been trying to use xine to play DVD's recorded with a JVC DVD recorder.
> This is all that I see:
>
> Apr  9 17:37:45 ankka /netbsd: cd0(piixide0:1:0):  Check Condition on CDB:
> 0xa4 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 00 00
> Apr  9 17:37:45 ankka /netbsd:     SENSE KEY:  Illegal Request
> Apr  9 17:37:45 ankka /netbsd:      ASC/ASCQ:  Copy Protection Key Exchange
> Failure - Authentication Failure
>
> xine also whines that it can't handle the DVD.  The same DVD's can be played
> using *indows software, so I think the discs are OK.

More data points:

This still happens with xine and ogle (both complain they can't read the
DVD) but gmplayer reads the dvd without problems (but it doesn't display
it right, there are two narrow copies of the video instead a wide one;
same problem with mplayer).

When running mplayer or gmplayer, no "Copy Protection Key Exchange Failure"
messages are inserted in the messages log.

I wonder if there's anything I can do to make xine work with these discs?
xine works just fine with commercial dvd's.

  -jm