Subject: Re: I've just installed xorg, now what...
To: Robert Cates <robert@kormar.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/25/2005 13:21:44
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Robert Cates wrote:

> I've just installed xorg from pkgsrc and I was hoping it would replace the
> XFree86.  Now that it's installed, how do I go about using it, instead of
> XFree86?

Rebuild all your X-using packages to use Xorg instead. Use X11_TYPE=xorg
in your /etc/mk.conf.

Later, you could remove /usr/X11R6 -- once you know it is not used.

> Also, by default all software packages are installed under /usr/pkg.  Can't
> that be changed so they are installed under /usr, thereby updating
> previously installed software that is for example not listed with pkg_info,
> like XFree86?  Or is there a (good) reason why you would not want to do
> that?

LOCALBASE=/usr is tricky. And only a few people ever use it or test it. I
have used it for a couple years with pkgsrc on Linux systems, but not on
NetBSD.

Overwriting NetBSD native /usr files may cause problems. Such as same
command name, but different usage or behaviour.

Also, later NetBSD updates (not pkgsrc related) may end up causing
problems to your installed packages.

An pkgsrc buildlinking doesn't work to hide /usr/lib libraries and
/usr/include headers, so may end up detecting or using wrong features.

Do you have any specific software you have in mind that you want to
overwrite?

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/