Subject: Re: explanation for "new technology" needed
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/23/2005 15:35:44
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 01:18:32PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> with fxp in second PCI slot (which is pci2 dev 7) pin 10 of ioapic0 is
>> allocated. with fxp on last slot (pci2 dev 10) too pin 10 of ioapic0 is
>> allocated. still nothing strange but
>
> The mapping does depend on the PCI interrupt line (A - D) the card uses, and
> how the slot you inserted it into maps that line to the ioapic. Your
> mainboard may have that hard wired. So (since your BIOS did not offer any
> options to change the mapping) you can use a different pci card (interrupting
> on another line) or move it to another slot. Both may not help, but are worth
> a try.

anyway - FreeBSD 5.4/amd64 (tried booting from install CD) allocates
different IRQ for every device and all works fine?

tried with Fixit option on installer when i checked with sysstat and top
usage. now fxp works on every slot fine with USB on.

it looks like NetBSD allocates everything like crappy BIOS wants while
FreeBSD allocates as FreeBSD wants.

on FreeBSD site in Hardware Compatibility listing for AMD64 my motherboard
is cited as having crappy BIOS :(

FreeBSD is OK, but NetBSD would be even better :)