Subject: Re: AHA-2940 UW SCSI adapter problems?
To: None <jamesb.au@iinet.net.au>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/19/2005 11:57:06
jamesb.au@iinet.net.au wrote:
> Quoting Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>:
>> Am 19.07.2005 um 8:25 Uhr -0700 schrieb Andy Ruhl:
>>> I don't think the 2940UW is going to work with that disk, isn't that
>>> an LVD disk?
>>
>> LVD disks will happily fall back to SE SCSI if needed.
>
> Oh joy, it will work then?  I've just googled quickly for that,
> and don't understand a word of it (LVD vs. SE) but I'll spend
> some more time on it today.

Yes, it will work.  LVD was introduced to permit higher speeds than the 40MB/s
of "fast-wide SCSI-2", but the drives will fall back to a slower speed to work
with your 2940UW card.  A few SCSI-3 drives might require a jumper to be added
to a pin pair labelled "SE", but most ought to work without any special
configuration.

> I should get myself a book on SCSI as well.
>
> Are SCSI disks really all they are cracked up to be?  Is SCSI vs.
> ATA just a religious war, or are there technical merits to SCSI?

Generally, yes.
SCSI vs. ATA is a religious war.
There are technical merits to SCSI.

(Respectively. :-)