Subject: Re: NetBSD /AMD64
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/19/2005 03:02:34
--HCdXmnRlPgeNBad2

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 04:56:13PM -0700, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> On 7/18/05, Robert Cates <robert@kormar.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > I'm preparing to install NetBSD /AMD64 in hopefully a pure 64-bit
> > environment, on an Athlon 64 platform, and I was wondering - how can on=
e see
> > and be sure that you're running in 64-bit (mode)?  Will it show me in d=
mesg?
>=20
> That's a 64 bit operating system. I'm not sure if there is a sysctl to
> show that, but you can know for sure if you run file on /netbsd.

Anything that prints out addresses will show you're running in 64-bits
mode, but I think the most simple example is simply to run 'pmap' and
'pmap 0'.

> There is no 32 and 64 bit modes as far as I know.

Well, there is, and the 32-bits mode is simple the good old IA-32, which
is i386 in NetBSD-speech.  There is also a legacy mode (if my
recollection of the naming is correct), which allows running 32-bits
binaries with a 64-bits kernel, along with 64-bits binaries.  That's
what option COMPAT_NETBSD32 is used for.

--=20

--HCdXmnRlPgeNBad2

--HCdXmnRlPgeNBad2--