Subject: Re: Using build.sh and building from source.
To: Mark Thomas <thomas.s.mark@gmail.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/13/2005 13:28:52
Mark Thomas <thomas.s.mark@gmail.com> writes:

> gdt wrote:
>
> > presumably '-r netbsd-2', so you can go from an installed 2.0 system
> > to the netbsd-2 branch
>
> Correct. I'm currently interested in maintenance of the stable(correct
> term?) branch.

Yes, netbsd-2 is a stable branch.  Others are netbsd-2-0 (much more
conservative change policy) and netbsd-1-6 (old).

> I see the term 'userland' used a lot, how does that fit into the whole
> scheme of things?

userland is BSD jargon that means all files other than the kernel that
are part of the NetBSD base system.  Operationally, it means all files
that are part of a non-kernel set in a release hierarchy.  Thus, the
files in /etc, in /sbin, and so on are part of userland.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>