Subject: Re: Using build.sh and building from source.
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Mark Thomas <thomas.s.mark@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/13/2005 12:55:09
Thanks Greg this is a big help.

> > Assuming I've checkout the source for the 'release' branch. (
> > http://netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-cvs.html#chap-cvs-fetch-source )
> >
> > reference ( http://netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-build.html )
>=20
> presumably '-r netbsd-2', so you can go from an installed 2.0 system
> to the netbsd-2 branch

Correct. I'm currently interested in maintenance of the stable(correct
term?) branch.

> > It is best to always build and install 'tools' prior to, or during the
> > "make release" and kernel building?
>=20
> "./build.sh tools" will build tools, but if you "./build.sh release"
> it will do tools and distribution first.

Thanks for correcting; and understanding my terminology. I did indeed
mean ./build.sh release.

> > Do I have to build a new kernel prior to using the "make release" optio=
n?
>=20
> Before installing the userland, yes, but you can build releases
> without installing any of it, and ./build.sh release does that.

I see the term 'userland' used a lot, how does that fit into the whole
scheme of things?

To clarify. My intent is to learn how to keep a stable( meaning
'release'?) NetBSD system up to date, as in the kernel, /bin, /sbin,
etc..

> I append a script I use to run build.sh on the netbsd-2 branch.  It is
> probably useful to read it as a complex example of using build.sh -
> way more complex than you need.=20

Thank you very much for the script, that does help.
--=20
 _
( ) Mark Thomas     ASCII ribbon campaign
 X www.theswamp.org   - against HTML email
/ \