Subject: Using build.sh and building from source.
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Thomas <thomas.s.mark@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/13/2005 07:44:19
I've been using NetBSD for a couple of years, I'm now comfortable
enough with it to try my hand at building/upgrading the system from
source. If anyone has time to answer these I'd appreciate it.

Assuming I've checkout the source for the 'release' branch. (
http://netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-cvs.html#chap-cvs-fetch-source )

reference ( http://netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-build.html )

'build.sh' is an interface to all the make options?=20

It is best to always build and install 'tools' prior to, or during the
"make release" and kernel building?

Using "make release" and 'install=3D/' will upgrade the current system.
i.e. postfix, ipf, etc. including /bin /sbin and others?

Do I have to "make release" to update just ipf? Or can I 'cd
/src/usr.sbin/ipf && make install'?

Do I have to build a new kernel prior to using the "make release" option?

I've read through the various mailing lists as well as '/src/BUILDING'
and gleaned some great information but the above questions are still
not very clear to me.

Thanks
--=20
 _
( ) Mark Thomas     ASCII ribbon campaign
 X www.theswamp.org   - against HTML email
/ \