Subject: Re: Migrating from FreeBSD to NetBSD
To: Roberto Pereyra <pereyra.roberto@gmail.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/11/2005 08:48:17
On 7/11/05, Roberto Pereyra <pereyra.roberto@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm migrating from FreeBSD 4.10
> to NetBSD 2.0.2.
>=20
> I'm using MD5 password encryption with NetBSD.
>=20
> How are the best (or easy) way of migrate the user and groups database
> (/etc/passwd, /etc/master.passwd and others) ?

Don't quote me on this, but after you've changed the stuff that is
FreeBSD specific (paths, I guess), I *think* you can just use pwd_mkdb
and it will "just work". I went through this a little during my
conversion from 4.10 to 2.0.2, but none of my users are very active
anymore so I just left their home directories and basically removed
them from the passwd file.

You may have to do a little realigning of the built in users and
groups, I think some of them use different uids which is a little bit
of a pain. My recommendation is to switch everything to "the NetBSD
way" so upgrades go smoothly.

Andy