Subject: Embarrassing State of our Mirrors
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/08/2005 01:48:22
Hello List,

I've mentioned this a few times and filed a lot of PR's but the current
state of the NetBSD Mirrors is more than embarrassing.
It's a shame to have to see that 50% of the Mirrors listed in the Mirror
List (www.netbsd.org/mirrors) aren't working or worse -- doesn't even
exist anymore.
It's clear, that if you depend on a service from someone else, that the
   reaction is not fast, if you ask, "what's wrong there ?"
But the desolate State of an incomplete List upsets me most!
There seems to be no reaction and no interest from NetBSD to update that
list.
I mean, how long does it take to commit changes to mirrors.html ?
The list can be updated continously when Mirrors are available again.
Isn't it more important to provide a working Mirror List
instead of a list, where every second entry doesn't work or exists anymore ?
How can I compare a clean Design and clean Codeworks from the Kernel
Developers with that "messy" List ? That's not NetBSD like.
And, if you ask, why I'm so upset - it is, because the Mirrors are the
most important thing on the Website.
They represent NetBSD. (Hello Advocacy ? )
The other point is that most of you complain, why nobody is using
Mirrors. That could be one argument. That's why !
I'm worried about, that this will fade away anyway.

Cheers,
Zafer.

--- List ---
This are the FTP Servers that aren't working:
If you take a close look to the other services, you will find out
that the most of them aren't working either.

Incomplete Mirrors:
ftp.au.netbsd.org
ftp2.au.netbsd.org
ftp.be.netbsd.org
ftp.join.uni-muenster.de
ftp.gr.netbsd.org
ftp.enemy.org
ftp.hu.netbsd.org
ftp.es.netbsd.org
ftp.tku.edu.tw
ftp.cs.umn.edu
ftp.iastate.edu

No Repository:
ftp2.de.netbsd.org
ftp.tpnet.pl
ftp.snt.utwente.nl
ftp.ru.netbsd.org
mirror.candidhosting.com

Doesn't Exist:
ftp.netbsd.uni-mainz.de
ftp.kr.netbsd.org
ftp2.us.netbsd.org

Doesn't Work:
ftp.tsinghua.edu.cn
ftp.netbsd.lt
ftp.lug.udel.edu
ftp.op.net
ftp.stealth.net

Wrong Naming:
mirror.nucba.ac.jp --> is now ftp.nuie.nagoya-u.ac.jp