Subject: acroread7 problems, possibly due to xorg
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/07/2005 10:01:53
Is anyone successfully using print/acroread7?  When I invoke it, I get
a lot of gdkpixbuf errors such as these:

  (acroread:8282): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Error loading XPM image loader: Image type 'xpm' is not supported

  (acroread:8282): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1319 (g_object_ref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

culminating in

  No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
  library is not correctly configured. You may need to
  edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
  about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
  page and on http://fontconfig.org

I see nothing obviously wrong with my configuration; I ran fc-cache
and /usr/pkg/emul/linux/usr/bin/fc-cache to make sure that all font
caches were up to date.

I should note that I'm experiencing this on -current with xorg.

It's becoming rather critical to get acroread7 working.  acroread5 has
some new security holes; Adobe's suggested fix is to switch to
acroread7.