Subject: Re: Bzip versus Gzip
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/06/2005 14:00:25
[Hmm, I didn't recall mailing this to the list, but that's ok]

It occurred to me that Peter I. Hansen wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.general:
> Martijn van Buul wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:24:37PM +0200, Peter I. Hansen wrote:
>>

>>>But, if you want to save space and bandwidth, like Zafer, bzip
>>>is the way to go.
>>

>> Actually, it's not. If you *really* don't care about the amount of CPU
>> cycles spent on compressing/decompressing, you could always try p7zip;
>> it's in archivers/p7zip in pkgsrc.
>>
>> Compressing the same testfile takes a staggering 5 minutes 41 seconds,
>> but it compresses it down to 40MB - 24% of the original. *THAT* is what
>> I call a considerable improvement over gzip. And the best part has yet
>> to come: Extraction takes only 15 seconds. Still a lot more than gzip, but
>> considerably less than bzip2!
>>

> That's quite good. So, If I read your numbers correct, the p7zip
> compression saves us 24 Mb at the expense of 8.8 seconds in
> extra decompression time.

well, "at a factor 3 more expansion time" would be more correct. And, I
compressed only binaries, while there's also text- and configuration
files which might skew things a bit. And the extra burden during build
is considerable, too, even more than bzip2.

> I have no idea what the average cpu is like, but I think using
> that kind of compression for distribiting packages makes sense
> in terms of bandwidth consideration.

Unfortunately, p7zip uses a horrible commandline interface, totally
unlike bzip2/gzip. And I'm not convinced it's very portable.

> If cpu cycles is everything to you, I'm with you all the way on
> gzip.

I'm not saying it's *everything*. But it's certainly an argument, as
far as I'm concerned.