Subject: Re: vi and xterm
To: Petar Bogdanovic <p+netbsd@2005.smokva.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/05/2005 00:49:36
On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Petar Bogdanovic wrote:

> Mike Parson wrote:
> > The vi-keys are the vi-keys cuz that's where the arrows were on the
> > terminal Bill Joy was using at the time he wrote it (adm3).
>
> I can't see any arrows on the 'h', 'j', 'k' & 'l' of the adm3[1].

I very much suspect that this is an urban story without truth. :-)
My only guess at why hjkl would be that ^H is backspace, and ^J is
linefeed. So you already got two movements placed there. The other two
might just be extrapolated from the placement of the first two.

But that was a very personal guess, and personally I also think that vi
sucks bigtime. :-)

	Johnny