Subject: Re: Hello,I Need Help,NetBSD for Chinese
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/04/2005 12:46:08
>>user interface).  In order to use Japanese on NetBSD I need to recompile
>>pretty much all of the text handling tools like sed, gawk, grep and vi.
>>I've never tried finding an ls that would work with CJK since I find the
>>WWW browser Lynx very convenient to use for viewing and manipulating files
>>which have been named in Japanese.  I *think* it may work for you with
>>Chinese, too.  Usually I change these files to ascii names right away,
>>however, since it is so inconvenient to work with them on NetBSD.

With Japanese, first I did EUC, but now it's UTF-8 instead, I sat down to work
out how to get bash/tcsh to work fine. I had to recompile both, as the versions
in pkgsrc were too old, and needed extra options.

Then, you need to set "set dspmbyte=utf8" for tcsh.

Finally, "ls" needs "-w".

After that, it works "fairly" well, better in bash than tcsh. File completion as
well, but editing the line can mess it up times. Although that could be urxvt's
fault (mentioned in newer minor bug fixes after all).

Although, I just stuck in a floppy, copied over a file with Japanese name, and
find it will not display correctly. Including dumping raw text from "." so there
is extra type checking done. Not that DOS would support UTF8 anyway?

Looking in fs/msdos/msdosfs_conv.c it seems to use charconv tables to map
characters, so this would probably need to be changed for support of other types.

I also found myself in this amusing situation:

# mount_msdos -l /dev/rd0a /mnt/
# ls -la /mnt
total 31
drwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  7168 Jan  1  1980 .
drwxr-xr-x  23 root  wheel   512 Jun  9 18:03 ..
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  7031 Jul  4 12:30 CDK.TXT
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    27 Jul  4 12:30 ƥƬȪ~1.TXT
# umount /mnt
umount: /mnt: not currently mounted
df -k
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
(snip)
/dev/fd0a        1423        7      1416     0%    /mnt/
# umount /dev/fd0a
#

Lund

--
Jorgen Lundman       | <lundman@lundman.net>
Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)