Subject: Re: vi and xterm
To: Petar Bogdanovic <p+netbsd@2005.smokva.net>
From: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/04/2005 17:49:38
On Jul 4, 2005, at 4:49 PM, Petar Bogdanovic wrote:

> Mike Parson wrote:
>> The vi-keys are the vi-keys cuz that's where the arrows were on the
>> terminal Bill Joy was using at the time he wrote it (adm3).
>
> I can't see any arrows on the 'h', 'j', 'k' & 'l' of the adm3[1].

They are there, but they are aren't true, separate , distinct , keys,
they are written
on the front side of the key like fn-keys on a laptop, or graphic keys
on old 8 bit micros.
They are more of a suggested use, than real keys.

I can't find a link, that shows it , but I've seen it before, think
I've posted, and somewhere on that site, you linked too, or perhaps in
the pdf manuals on that site.

Rogue, is a game that you play before you realize that there is Angband
;-).

Rogue was influential enough, that is an archetype.  Games that
present, a top down, view of a randomly generated dungeon, hack and
slash, with D&D like character stats,levels, are rogue-like.  Rogue was
probably developed on the same terminals as vi, but is an example of a
program that used the same convention, on other terminals.