Subject: Re: vi and xterm
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Mike Parson <mparson@bl.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/04/2005 14:50:28
On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 06:26:34PM +0200, Petar Bogdanovic wrote:
> Christian Hattemer wrote:

>> About operating vi with hjkl: I've heard some people spent their
>> youth playing rogue. Well, I haven't, so I'm not that used to
>> navigation with these keys.
>
> Ok, I got your point.
>
> Well, you really don't have to be a rogue-player to recognise, that
> 'the real' vi-keys are 'the real' vi-keys for a good reason.

The vi-keys are the vi-keys cuz that's where the arrows were on the
terminal Bill Joy was using at the time he wrote it (adm3).

> If you drive a car: from which position do you drive it? From the
> backseat or from the drivers seat?

More like automatic or stick-shift. =)

But I never played rogue either, I just make it a point to understand
how to use the tools given to me.  I'm also quite handy with ed. ;)

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org