Subject: Re: NetBSD install fails on ASUS K8S-MX motherboard/AMD Athlon 2800+
To: Karthik Subramanian <karthik301176@gmail.com>
From: None <tlaronde@polynum.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/04/2005 12:51:09
Hello,

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 10:23:45AM +0530, Karthik Subramanian wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm a *total* NetBSD newbie, have some experience running linux.
>
> I'm trying to install NetBSD 2.0.2 (AMD64) / NetBSD 2.0 (i386) on my
> box which has an ASUS K8S-MX motherboard
> (http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=14&l3=0&model=377&modelmenu=1).
>
> I seem to have exactly the same problem as msmith@edtech.mcc.edu, as
> indicated in his email to port-amd64 on 02/10/2005, I get the
> following messages when the NetBSD-2.0.2 (AMD64) install CD boots:
>
> >siside0:0:0: lost interrupt
> >type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0
> >siside0:0:0: lost interrupt
> >type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0

It is just for the record and to give some supplementary tracks for
developers.
This same kind of error happens on an ASUS notebook (L3) when ACPI is
enable when accessing a slow device (which is the case with a CDROM).
Please note that this is _i386_ so it is not related to AMD64 in my
case. It might be in this case too that the problem is with some bios
stuff and not the arch per se.

Since (needs to be verified) an install kernel is unlikely to have ACPI
config, looking at APM too can be a clue: on my notebook, BIOS
advertises APM when indeed support was not here causing some errors.

Cheers,
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
http://www.kergis.org/  |  http://www.kergis.com/