Subject: Re: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?new_Packaging_System?=
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/02/2005 14:25:03
On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Zafer Aydogan wrote:

> Software packages are installed into their own separate directories,
> complete with libraries and all. The goal is to have installed programs be
> entirely self contained, so that if the lib's on the system change, the
> package will be unaffected. Each package is installed into its own
> subdirectory under "/usr/local/MyPrograms/". The PC-BSD installer takes care
> of making links, setting up binaries to find their required libraries,
> creating icons, etc. Removing the app is also managed by PC-BSD. The
> directory is simply removed, along with any relevant icons / links created."

pkgsrc already does same, but as far as I know it (pkgsrc pkgviews) is not
well used yet.

As for icons, that is on a package-by-package basis and not handled
specifically.

pkgsrc pkgviews needs some improvement, but is usable now.

There are several other similar packaging systems: SEPP, reflect, Stow,
Encap, Relink, epkg, depot, graft, opt_depot ...

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/