Subject: [2.0.2/i386] Install without sysinst : single-user mode? sysinst?
To: None <>
From: Sylvain Briole <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/27/2005 11:33:06
Hi All!

I would like to install NetBSD 2.0.2 on a x86 compatible computer without using
I have searched around Internet looking for documentations, and tried this one :

It works perfectly, but in order to automatize installations, I would like to
know if it is absolutely necessary to reboot in single-user mode before first
reboot in multi-user mode, and when yes, why?
I have searched infos in the FAQ, but I did not found any reason about
single-user after installation in it :

When single-user mode not absolutely necessary, is it possible to set (in
/etc/rc.conf) :

And also install (in chroot or something like this) some packages like bash for
example, and then finally reboot?

I am also looking for informations about sysinst, in order to automatize my
installations, e.g. how to track the commands given by sysinst during an
installation or what are the modified/created files (e.g. to select a password
encryption scheme, disklabels definitions, ...).
I have found the source code into, but it was not
very helpful for me.
Is there any log file for sysinst?

I thank you in advance for all your helpful advices,