Subject: Re: [New to NetBSD] USB mass-storage hotplug?
To: None <>
From: Malte Dehling <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/24/2005 12:40:30

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 03:00:55PM +0000, Sylvain Briole wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am a new user of NetBSD, with a Debian Linux background.
> I would like to know how to use USB mass-storage "hotplug" in NetBSD.
> In Debian Linux Woody I was doing like this to avoid any problem:
> - /etc/init.d/hotplug start
> - plug in USB hard disk
> - mount /dev/usb_drive /mount_point
> - working with the drive
> - umount /mount_point
> - /etc/init.d/hotplug stop
> - plug out USB hard disk
> I have read USB manpages (usb(4), umass(4)) on NetBSD 2.0.2, but I did no=
t find
> out how to use "hotplug". Do I have to do anything before/after :
> - plug-in?
> - plug-out?
> To avoid any kernel panic or something like this?

=46rom my experience with my (usb-connected) digicam, which shows up as a u=
mass storage device with scsi emulation, it worked like this:
- plug in
- mount
- work
- umount
- unplug

I never noticed any problems and there was no need for any hotplug
scripts... ofcourse, if you want you device to be mounted automagically,
you'll need to use amd or something.

Malte Dehling

Mail:		mdehling [at]
PGP:		2586 A3BF B438 E68E 2B85  C4EA C5A7 AD96 C865 03D2

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (SunOS)