Subject: Re: i386 booting into RAID?
To: Jukka Salmi <>
From: Malcolm Herbert <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/23/2005 11:01:09
On 22 Jun 2005, at 20:31, Jukka Salmi wrote:

> Cameron Patrick --> netbsd-users (2005-06-22 18:22:39 +0800):
>> Malcolm Herbert wrote:
>>> I'm putting together a system with two internal disks in a mirror
>>> configuration and I'd like to do away with the need to have the extra
>>> small slice to house the kernel outside the RAID device.
>> Erm, doesn't this work anyway without jumping through hoops?  I've
>> never tried it, but the raidctl man page claims that the bootloader
>> can read a kernel straight from a raid1 set.
> Yes, it does. This is [1]documented in the NetBSD guide, too.
> [1]

hmmm ... last time I set up a RAID1 disk array was with 1.6.something
and the only way to do it on i386 was with the extra partition to hold
the kernel ... I did take a look at the Guide before posting, however
because it didn't match my preconception of what was needed to be done
I couldn't make sense of it and ignored it ... *sigh* ...

still, apart from playing fast and loose with the disklabel on wd0 it
should still work the way I outlined it earlier, right?  turned out
somewhere along the line I'd managed to screw up the MBR on the disk
which was why the BIOS was having Issues ...

Malcolm Herbert
Computer Support Officer
School of Geosciences
Monash University