Subject: Re: used mbufs increasing,
To: Manuel Bouyer <>
From: Reinhold M. Roppert <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/09/2005 23:22:26

some days ago, we had some problems with increasing mbufs till the system hangs.
Perhaps we have found the applications that causes these problems.

We  use the mod_bw to limit traffic over httpd.
It seems, that this module did not free the mbufs.
Perhaps we may be wrong, but after we disabled the tool it works and there are no 
increasing mbufs any more. 

Best regards

Am 6 Jun 2005 um 10:41 hat Manuel Bouyer geschrieben:

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 01:52:33PM +0200, Reinhold M. Roppert wrote:
> Hello,
> thank you for your answer.
> Am 3 Jun 2005 um 12:53 hat Manuel Bouyer geschrieben:
> > What does netstat show ?
> this ist the latest output of netstat -m
> **********
> 4784 mbufs in use:
>         4468 mbufs allocated to data
>         316 mbufs allocated to packet headers
> 4417/4426 mapped pages in use
> 10252 Kbytes allocated to network (98% in use)
> 0 requests for memory denied
> 0 requests for memory delayed
> 150 calls to protocol drain routines
> *******

I was interested in the 'netstat' (without -m) outut, to see the send-queue

> > I'm seen connections sitting with the > send-queue
> > full, and this can consume a lot of memory. I attribute this to broken
> > DSL routers (As I started seeing this when french DSL providers > started
> > giving NAT routers to their clients, instead of a simple modem).
> The server is directly connected to the Internet.

In my case the problems was clients connecting to the server though one of
these DSL routers.

Manuel Bouyer <>
     NetBSD: 26 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference
R. M. Roppert