Subject: Re: Welcome to netbsd-users
To: Simeon Nifos <archwndas@yahoo.com>
From: Courtney R. Spencer <cspencer@mindspring.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/27/2005 18:55:58
On Fri May 27, 2005 at 03:09:08PM -0700, Simeon Nifos wrote:
> Hallo everybody,
> I am a new user migrating from FreeBSD, where I had
> hardware troubles with AMD64 archs. I would like a
> little
> help to begin!
>
> 1:) Please send me a sample .cshrc.
>     up down keys do not work, delete key doesn't work
> and
>     neither does tab key. Couldn't netbsd people make
> our
>     life easier with that?

% csh
thunder% [A
<up> works for me

thunder% [B
<down> works for me

thunder%
<tab> also creates a tab

FreeBSD uses tcsh as its /bin/csh and there is no command-line editing in csh.

You can either install the tcsh which will install in /usr/pkg/bin, or try out
the interactivness of standard csh or /bin/ksh has command line editing with:
set -o emacs
bind "^I=complete"

But I warn you when dealing with lots of different systems, the bourne shell
derivitives all can have dirrerent behavior depending on the OS.

Linux /bin/sh is really bash
*BSD /bin/ksh is not att ksh #smiley faced emoticon#

For plain old csh on any system I set in my .cshrc:
set history=1000
set filec

So what do you gain with this?
!command or !history# reissues a previous command
cd /et<esc> is filename completion

See: http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/pkgsrc/using.html

> 3:) Are there any Nvidia drivers available?

For XFree86?  If its not in nv_drv.o than I'm not sure about this one.
I have iXfree86 4.4.0 and I apparently have it nv(4).

> 4:) Suppose I have a Linux Library library.so.
>     And I want to link it with my main.c compiled
>     in NetBSD. How can I achieve that?

You need Linux compatibility compiled in your kernel, plus the
linux emulation area populated.

see compat_linux(8)

> 5:) Some simple tunings I can apply on the fly
>     (memory,disk,net)?

This really depends on your system and the applications you want to use.

--
Courtney R. Spencer