Subject: Re: Migrating from FreeBSD to NetBSD: general questions
To: Jean-Luc Wasmer <jl+netbsd@lists.wasmer.ca>
From: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/27/2005 05:55:25
On May 25, 2005, at 2:48 PM, Jean-Luc Wasmer wrote:

> Andy Ruhl wrote:
>
>> 192.168.1.1:telnet   stream  tcp     nowait  root
>> /usr/libexec/telnetd telnetd
>>
>> I confirmed with netstat -an that port 23 is only listening on
>> 192.168.1.1, not *.23.
>>
>> Thanks for that.
>>
>> Might still be nice to just restrict the entire inetd to an address or
>> interface, but this will do nicely.
>>
> Also from inetd(8):
>
> To avoid repeating an address that occurs fre-
> quently, a line with a host address specifier and colon, but no further
> fields, causes the host address specifier to be remembered and used for
> all further lines with no explicit host specifier (until another such
> line or the end of the file).
>
> JL

  Also from man page: A line *:
is implicitly provided at the top of the line [ of inetd.conf ].  I
don't know, but for some reason, I didn't get it, until I read this
line, one can clear the implicit
*: by setting it, it isn't so much remembering the new one, but
clobbering the old one.

I actually made the implicit line, explicit , verified it worked as
before, then commented that line out, and put hostname: and it
everything is on the 1 interface, w/ nothing anywhere else, and
inetd.conf is largely the same.  decided keep the #*: line as a memory
aid for myself...  I don't know, thought I'd share as the solution did
not fall out immediately for me, and wonder if anyone else shares my
brain damage ;-].