Subject: Re: Standards compliance..? (trailing slashes)
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dan LaBell <dan4l-nospam@verizon.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/26/2005 00:45:13
On May 25, 2005, at 4:46 PM, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> After all, _all_ of the traditional implementations of Unix have
> _always_ universally treated trailing slashes as NULs (and collapsed
> multiple embedded slashes to one slash, of course).

So, that things like "/usr/local/bin" , "/usr/local//bin" , or
"/usr/local/bin/"
"/usr/local//bin//" all map to the same directory?  Meaning that one
does not have make a dozen or so little changes everywhere in shell
scripts, and makefiles to get things to work, and now not so?

What about "/usr/local/bin/." vs "/usr/local/bin" , what does the new
code do in this case? As in cp newfile /usr/local/bin/.  will give an
error, rather than cp newfile /usr/local/bin, which will happily make a
new file called bin in /usr/local, if /usr/local/bin doesn't exist.

> In fact I have a trivial patch to NetBSD's kernel to bring it back into
> compliance with traditional implementations too (as I find the old way
> much more pleasing and useful).

If multiple embedded slashes aren't supported, I may want your patch,
please share it.