Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: non-pkgsrc emacs or clone
To: Thomas Dickey <dickey@his.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/25/2005 23:39:41
On Wed, 25 May 2005, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> > Hm, can you say "standards conformance" again?
>
> sure can.  utmpx/utmp, wide-character, crud in the header files marked
> to-be-done.  But I'm wasting my time - if you knew what I was talking about,
> you'd be a little more graceful about it.

[lynx-dev removed]

My userid is littered around the CVS logs for the NetBSD source tree, very
heavily so in the toolchain department, so yes, I do know what you're
talking about.  It's not unlikely that I implemented a few of those changes
to which you're referring.

> Perhaps I'm just tired of explaining to people why NetBSD's header files
> are a nuisance to work around.

You don't use Solaris on a regular basis, I take it?  Read that as:  "It's
not just NetBSD."

It's not a workaround, if it's necessary in order to follow standards in
your application.  As various Unix-like OS's become more standardized, and
they are, like it or not, things like Linux are staying out in the cold and
shield unsuspecting software authors from the reality of the heterogeneous
world.  (There's a reason I've asserted on many occasions that "GNU & Linux
help to promote sloppy code.")

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>