Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: non-pkgsrc emacs or clone
To: Klaus Klein <kleink@mibh.de>
From: Thomas Dickey <dickey@his.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/24/2005 21:14:02
On Mon, 23 May 2005, Klaus Klein wrote:

> Martin Husemann wrote:
>> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 03:36:20PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
>>> I must admit that my system is not realy 2.0.2 anymore but slightly newer,
>>> but it works there:
>>
>> Oh, I see what you mean.
>>
>> The "makefile" in that directory does not specify .h as a .SUFFIX. Adding that,
>> makes it work.
>
> So FWIW, POSIX has a set of default .SUFFIXES, and .h isn't one of
> them, whereas GNU make indeed does define it regardless of
> POSIXLY_CORRECT being set in the environment.

However, it works with the vendor's make for: Solaris, AIX, HPUX, Tru64.
Given the statements in this thread, it is apparent that none of those
conform to POSIX either, making NetBSD's the sole conforming
implementation.

sarcasm aside, I suspect that the reason for the breakage is more mundane,
e.g., a problem in NetBSD's handling of the variable $o in the suffixes
line, making it go off on a tangent someplace.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net