Subject: Migrating to NetBSD: pf vs. ipf?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/24/2005 10:29:13
I'm trying to find info about how pf will be implemented in the next
version of NetBSD (3.0).

I'm migrating from FreeBSD 4.10 to NetBSD 2.0.2 (for the time being)
and I'm finding ipf to be quite arcane to use. I basically can't use
it because I don't understand the syntax and I'm not really good
enough with the protocol to make it feel more familiar, but if I have
to, I'll learn.

I installed pf from pkgsrc and got it all loaded, and I think I'm
happier with it. I'm wondering if this is going to remain in pkgsrc
and a kernel module? I'd rather use something that comes with the base
software.

It also helps that there is better documentation for pf, as far as I
can tell (including Michael Lucas's Absolute OpenBSD).

Thanks.

Andy