Subject: network filesystem suggestions
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/17/2005 08:19:00
Hiya,

I could use some suggestions as to what to use as a networking file system.
Some backgroundinfo:

I have a laptop, running netbsd-3, and limited harddisk space (30GB, and
I really need to have a WinXP install too :( ), while I also have a desktop
system running -current, which has plenty of diskspace available. So, I
decided that it was a good idea to have the laptop mount /usr/src, /usr/xsrc
and /usr/pkgsrc from the desktop. And while we're at it, it'd be neat to share
my MP3s too. So far, so good. I've set up NFS, amd, the works. It works like a
charm - provided that I use "wired" ethernet.

However, if I use my (11b) WLAN (atu), it grinds to a halt. After a few
minutes, the nfs mount will die ("file server 192.168.64.10:/usr/export not
responding"), while the rest of networking continues working - including
from and to 192.168.64.10 (Which just happens to be my desktop). I've read
that NFS isn't very forgiving towards packet loss, so I'm thinking that it
might be the underlying problem. I tried using nfs over tcp instead of udp,
and it helps a little - but not enough.

Any suggestions how to get this working? I thought we had CODA support, too,
but userland support for it seems to have vanished off the planet, so I think
I'm stuck with nfs somehow.

Assuming that the unreliable network is the culprit, I could try to setup
a tcp-based tunnel and run NFS over that (So that the effect of the leaky
network is corrected before NFS even notices it) - but I can't really find
any TCP tunnels, except for vtun and/or IPSec.

Would this work, or are there better solutions? Quite frankly, I'm a bit
disappointed by NFS's performance in these matters :(

Kind regards,

Martijn