Subject: Re: NetBSD vs FreeBSD on older hardwar (MMX)
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/16/2005 23:30:40
* Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz> [0521 22:21]:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 00:59:09 +0800, Tomoki NetBSD Mailing Lists wrote:
>
> > I fished out an old laptop out of my closet.
> > It is a Pentium 233 MMX w/ 64MB Ram and 12G HD
> > I am thinking about setting up a small station for browsing the web.
> > Which would perform better on such a system?  NetBSD or FreeBSD ?
> >
> > I know that this is a mailing list for NetBSD users, but I am hoping
> > that you will be objective and give me a suggestion based purely on
> > performance.
>
> If you end installing both and comparing, don't forget to turn softdeps on
> in NetBSD. I believe FreeBSD has them on by default, while NetBSD doesn't.
> And they make a big difference in filesystem performance.

Hate to say it, but if you really want to compare the two you need to maintain
them for six months.

pkgsrc tends to lag a bit behind the ports tree for updates and security fixes in
my experience, and portupgrade handles complicated dependencies
far, far better than 'make update'.

--
'Good news, everyone! I've taught the toaster to feel love!'
		-- Prof. Farnsworth