Subject: Re: NetBSD vs FreeBSD on older hardwar (MMX)
From: Martin S. Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/16/2005 23:12:07
On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 12:59:09AM +0800, Tomoki NetBSD Mailing Lists wrote:
> I fished out an old laptop out of my closet.
> It is a Pentium 233 MMX w/ 64MB Ram and 12G HD
> I am thinking about setting up a small station for browsing the web.
> Which would perform better on such a system?  NetBSD or FreeBSD ?

I may remind you that most of the people you're addressing here on a netbsd
mailinglist will only know NetBSD and its pros.

> I know that this is a mailing list for NetBSD users, but I am hoping
> that you will be objective and give me a suggestion based purely on
> performance.

Even given lately turnups of performance measures indicating that NetBSD
might be the way to go[1], I'd say "it varies". It varies on what you wanna
do, and the variation is tiny for the end-user (hey, don't skin me, netbsd
folks!).

All I can do is warn you of NetBSD. It's addicting. You'll end up wiping
all your FreeBSD installations in favour of NetBSD once you've get used
to it; there is no way out. Once you've started installing NetBSD somewhere,
you'll end up installing it everywhere :)

So if you have exp with FreeBSD and are religious enough to believe in the
one right solution, go install FBSD ! If you haven't, well, doomed you are.
Welcome to the world of NetBSD then!

Regards,

-Martin Weber

[1]: the "mcgarry measures": http://www.feyrer.de/NetBSD/gmcgarry/