Subject: Re: Weird bash .profile and picky Xorg MANPATH
To: Kosta Kilim <kopno@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/11/2005 12:14:21
> Another question is this one:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2005/02/23/0010.html
>
> as posted by Nuno Teixeira almost two and a half months ago. And it
> seems that nobody posted the answer to it.

We don't have any automated way with pkgsrc for updating system /etc files
(other than /etc/shells and creating users and groups). One of the
often-mentioned strengths or goals of pkgsrc is that it doesn't touch /etc
too much.

> My problem isn't setting the PATH for Xorg, as that works great, but
> the MANPATH.
>
> I've put this in my /etc/man.conf
>
> xorg /path/to/xorg's/man/pages
>
> so if I do 'man startx' nothing comes up, yet if I do
>
> 'man xorg startx'
>
> 'startx' manpage is brought up.
>
> I would like it to set the Xorg's MANPATH so that I don't have to
> specify anything extra apart from 'man' and the page I happened to be
> looking for. How do I do that ?

Maybe manually edit your man.conf's _default entry to pre-pend
/usr/pkg/xorg/man/ (or the path you need) so it will look there first.
Maybe like:

_default /usr/pkg/xorg/man/ /usr/share/man/ /usr/pkg/man/ /usr/local/man/

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/