Subject: Re: WiFi that works?
To: Amadeus Stevenson <amadeus.stevenson@gmail.com>
From: John Clark <jclark@metricsystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/11/2005 09:09:39
Amadeus Stevenson wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've spent many many hours griping over changed chipsets in the
>Linksys WMP11 cards that I've bought and/or found. USB Belkin is a
>no-no too.
>
>After a lot of wasted time and some wasted money the WMP11v27 and
>WMP11v4 do not work under netbsd (-current) as they have NDA chipsets
>(InfoComm went bust, the v27 is Broadcom). I filed a pr to update the
>wi(4) man page (kern/30141).

I've been using PCMCIA cards (and PCI cards occasionally) based on the
Atheros chip set.
It is somewhat difficult to determine the actual chip set, as the
vendors seem to maintain the
model number dispite massive changes of the implementation. Since my
many 'wifi' thing
is the Atheros chip set, my experience is there, and the 'madwifi'
driver is available under
NetBSD. The only thing there is figuring out which particular card, and
implementation
is Atheros based.

I tried a 'broadcom' card a few days ago from 'Buffalo' and it did not
work. My standard
kernel is from the mildly 'official' 2.0 source, and there was no
mention of 'Airstation' in any
of the drivers. I did notice that there is mention of an implementation
of 'airstation' in the
my most recent cvs updated source set, but I have not installed that on
a machine to investigate
further.

>What about a and g support? Is that working in -current?

In a past life I have run NetBSD with a WISTRON mini-PCI a/b/g card, Atheros
based, with the Madwifi (src/sys/dev/ic/ath.c as a starting source
file.) driver.

Whether this works on your sparc machine, I can't answer... Don't have
too much to
do with suns or sparcs these days.