Subject: Re: i386-current: how do I boot Windows off of my second disk?
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/02/2005 14:18:56
On Mon, 2 May 2005, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:

> > WinXP will boot from the netbsd mbr code, but it may not like you
> > changing the disk from being disk0 to disk1.
>
> Is there some way of switching the disk order? I know that disconnecting
> the cable from the first drive allows XP to boot from the second. Is it
> in order of how the BIOS finds them?

It's not so much as to how the BIOS finds them.  Once the WinXP (or for that
matter, any WinNT derivative) partition begins to boot, the NT kernel looks
for the root ("C:") drive in \boot.ini (a hidden system file).  You'd need
to hack up boot.ini to fix the disk reference when moving disks, or else
you'll end up with a "STOP:...INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" blue screen at boot.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>