Subject: Re: NFS timeo and retrans parameters via amd
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Smith <smithm@netapps.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/26/2005 12:56:51
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:51:42 -0700
"Aaron J. Grier" <agrier@poofygoof.com> wrote:

> when it came back up, it started working through the backlog,
> delivered about a dozen or so messages (thanks bogofilter) and then
> the dreaded "nfs server alpha:/usr/home: not responding" appeared.
> that's when I figured there was some timeout knob that needed to be
> tweaked, so I started hitting the mount_nfs(8) and am-utils.info docs.

This is probably not relevant, and you may have encountered it before,
but there is an entry in either the bogofilter or berkeley db README
files which warn you not to put the bogofilter database on an NFS
mounted volume.

I had a lot of problems using it on a linux NFS client and I eventually
moved the database to a local disk. I have a vague idea that some NFS
clients will work with berkeley db, but I don't know if NetBSD is one of
them.
--
Michael Smith
Network Applications