Subject: Re: NetBSD/Xen 2.0.2 kernel image?
To: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/20/2005 15:39:20
On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 03:18:09PM +1000, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
> *bzzzt!* ... didn't even complete booting and died in the debugger in
> very short order ...
>
> I should point out at this time that the i386 'hardware' that I'm using
> is actually a VirtualPC instance running under Mac OSX 10.3.9 ... I'm
> wanting to set it up on real hardware but at the moment I have none
> available to test it with ... was hoping to iron out the showstoppers
> and learn on a VM image which I could then base the real one on ...
>
> I'm surprised that Xen itself doesn't appear to make any noise on start
> at all - is this normal? I see a small amount of information from what
> looks like grub before it launches Xen, then just the NetBSD banners.

Yes, it should print out some informations, but depending on the grub config,
it'll send them to the serial or VGA display. Check your grub config
(the one from the howto include entries for both).

> Would the crash dump be useful to anyone? Unfortunately I haven't worked
> out how to get the 'serial' port under VirtualPC functioning yet, so I
> only have some incomplete screen dumps ...

The panic string (available in the last lines if you type 'dmesg' at the db
prompt) and the stack trace (type 'tr' at the db prompt) can be usefull.
Also please tell which snapshot you used.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>