Subject: Mysql Blocking connections
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: None <timwoj@ieee.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/18/2005 08:36:39
I'm having an issue with MySQL 4.1.11 on Netbsd 2.0.2.  I had MySQL
running 4.0x running under NetBSD 1.6.2, and when I upgraded to the new
NetBSD, I went ahead and upgraded mysql as well.  For some reason,
mysql will only allow one connection at a time and blocks all other
connections.  New connections don't get a "Too Many Connections" error,
which means that setting max_connections in my.cnf doesn't help.  The
new connections just hang forever until the first connection closes.
Running show processlist via the command list gives:

mysql> show processlist;
+----+------+-----------+------+---------+------+-------
+------------------+

+----+------+-----------+------+---------+------+-------
+------------------+
|  1 | root | localhost | NULL | Query   |    0 | NULL  | show
processlist |
+----+------+-----------+------+---------+------+-------
+------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Note that that is my one connection.  Any other connections made while
I'm in the command-line tool are blocked.  My my.cnf looks like this:

# The following options will be passed to all MySQL clients
[client]
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock

# Here follows entries for some specific programs

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock
skip-external-locking
key_buffer = 256M
max_allowed_packet = 1M
table_cache = 256
sort_buffer_size = 1M
read_buffer_size = 1M
read_rnd_buffer_size = 4M
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 64M
thread_cache_size = 8
query_cache_size= 16M
# Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency
thread_concurrency = 8
max_connections=500

# required unique id between 1 and 2^32 - 1
# defaults to 1 if master-host is not set
# but will not function as a master if omitted
server-id       = 1

[mysqldump]
quick
max_allowed_packet = 16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash
# Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL
#safe-updates

[isamchk]
key_buffer = 128M
sort_buffer_size = 128M
read_buffer = 2M
write_buffer = 2M

[myisamchk]
key_buffer = 128M
sort_buffer_size = 128M
read_buffer = 2M
write_buffer = 2M

[mysqlhotcopy]
interactive-timeout

The config is based off of netbsd's default my-huge.cnf config, just a
couple things modified.  If anyone has any ideas why this thing is
blocking connections, that'd be great.  I've been running around
through mysql's documentation and mailing list archives, and googling
for a week now, and I'm no closer to fixing it.  Thanks.

Note: This was cross-posted to the mysql-general list.  Since then, I've
downgraded to mysql 4.0.24, and had the same results.  I'm about to toss
my entire pkgsrc and start over, but I'd really rather not if I don't have
to.

Tim