Subject: Re: Keyboard or terminal problem?
To: Ezequiel Reyes <ezequiel.reyes@newhotel.co.cu>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/10/2005 21:14:12
[ On Sunday, April 3, 2005 at 17:06:59 (-0700), Ezequiel Reyes wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Keyboard or terminal problem?
>
> I read the sh manual and put a line in the .profile giving value to the ENV
> variable, telling the shell to look for a .shrc file in the user home folder
> where I put the set -o emacs switch. It works ok whenever I login as root or
> any other user in text mode, but not so when login trough xdm. Any xterm I
> open has the ENV variable empty and thus, no emacs option defined for the
> shell in that terminal.

Always use 'xterm -ls' to start your xterms -- that way they always
start with your expected login environment.

If you're starting them by hand then a little command alias or function
is helpful:

	lxterm ()
	{
		$X11BIN/xterm -ziconbeep 1 -cn -rw -sb -si -sk -sl 2048 -ls -T $HOSTNAME $* &
	}

If you're starting them from a window-manager menu then arrange to
configure it in such a way that it does something very similar....

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>