Subject: Re: netbsd 2.0 no operating system
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Nenad Crnko <nc@pcmagic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/09/2005 17:08:55
On Saturday 09 April 2005 05:53, David Laight wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:49:01AM -0700, Nenad Crnko wrote:
> >            # fdisk -i wd0
> >   >>>      Update the bootcode from /usr/mdec/mbr? [n] y<CR>
>
> If you want to write specific mbr code to a disk, just do:
>  # fdisk -c mbr wd0
>
> Also 'fdisk -B' used to ask for the menu names, these days it is only
> required if you want to change the timeout or action on timeout.
>
> fdisk will detect whether you need the mbr_bootsel (or mbr_ext) code
> and automatically ask you whether you want to use it.
>
>  David

This is neat. I was unaware of that and have been using the ritual
I described in previous message, because of a difficulty
I encountered in 1.5, where I was, probably due to my ignorance,
unable to restore mbr code.

But now this approach is useful since sometines I need to override
the automatic detection because of my ruining something during
installation.

Best regards
Nenad