Subject: Re: netbsd 2.0 no operating system
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <oliverfuchs@onlinehome.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/09/2005 20:35:14
On Sat, 09 Apr 2005, David Laight wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 05:34:26AM -0700, Nenad Crnko wrote:
> >
> > We have missed the opportunity to get the content from wd1 mbr when
> > your system still failed to boot. It would have been useful to get it
> > like so:
> >   # dd if=/dev/wd1d of=/tmp/funny_mbr count=1
> > or
> >   # dd if=/dev/wd0d count=1 | hexdump -C
> >
> > It seems that for some reason the sector lost its MBR_MAGIC during
> > or after installation. If there is a bug in sysinst and you would
> > like to help tracking it down, you would probably have to repeat your
> > ordeal a few times to find out and document how to reliably reproduce
> > the problem.
>
> There is a known bug in installboot that causes it to copy the first
> 8k of the disk to the start of the partition.
> This might be the cause.

Yes, could be but the fact is that after I partitioned wd1 with
FreeBSD 5.3 sysinstall the installation of netbsd 1.6.1 worked fine.
Only after I partitioned the disk with sysinst of netbsd 2.0 I was not
able to boot into the system on wd1 (netbsd). Maybe I should have
tested if I was able to install netbsd 2.0 after a FreeBSD
sysinstall's partitioning - but I missed it.

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit