Subject: Re: netbsd and nss_ldap module
To: dan@radom.org, sigsegv <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/08/2005 02:14:38
On Aug 28,  3:19am, dan radom wrote:
}
} * sigsegv (sigsegv@rambler.ru) wrote:
} > Greetings, does anyone know if there is a way to add nss_ldap support for netbsd? Searching on Google seems to suggest this module is not supported with netbsd, is anyone working on it?
}
} It's my understanding that currently the only way to get ldap support for
} nss type things is to use pam and pam_ldap.  Of course you'll need to
} rebuild everyhting to support pam.

     That won't do the trick.  PAM only answers the question of whether
or not somebody is allowed to login (i.e. entered the correct password,
inserted the correct smart card, etc.) or do some other task.  It
doesn't answer questions like what is the person's UID, where is their
home directory located, etc.  For these questions, you need an nss
module.  Luke was working on making it possible to dynamically load nss
modules, but I don't know how far he got.

}-- End of excerpt from dan radom