Subject: Re: netbsd 2.0 no operating system
To: netbsd <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/04/2005 20:40:59
On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 09:11:56PM +0200, Oliver Fuchs wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Apr 2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>
> I do not get it:
> On wd0 I have windowsxp
> on wd1 I had FreeBSD 5.3 with bootselector on wd0 (F1 windows F2
> FreeBSD)
>
> I then deleted the FreeBSD 5.3 system and put netbsd 1.6.1 on it,
> replaced the FreeBSD boot manager with the one from netbsd (fdisk -B
> wd0 with F5 booting wd0 and F6 booting wd1 with netbsd).

F5 would have reloaded the mbr code from wd0, you probably used F1
to load windows.

> I installed netbsd with sysinst from a regular boot/install i386 cdrom.
> I wanted to do a fresh installation with netbsd 2.0 using a regular
> boot/installation cd. I run through sysinst with most of the default
> settings. Everything works o.k but I cannot boot.

If you boot from the install CD, interrupt the 10 second countdown,
and type 'boot wd1a:' it should boot into the netbsd 2.0 kernel.

> Running installboot to install e.g. /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1 ends up
> with a error message > ( invalid near "(" ).

That sounds like you are trying to run the installboot from the
installed system under the install kernel.  That won't work because
the installboot program is dynamically linked and the install '/'
filesystem doesn't contain the dynamic loader.

If you chroot into the installed fs you might have more luck.

> So to be honest I do not know how to get sysinst to place this
> bootblocks (and why they are not set by the netbsd installation
> programm).

There is a nasty bug in disklabel (still) that can cause it to delete
the pbr boot code.

As a data point, systinst doesn't use installboot on i386 (it is too big).
It just copies bootxx_ffsv1 over the first sectors of the partition
carefully avoiding the second sector because it contains the disklabel.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk