Subject: Re: netbsd 2.0 no operating system
To: netbsd <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Oliver Fuchs <oliverfuchs@onlinehome.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/04/2005 21:11:56
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> In message <Pine.LNX.4.62.0504041133230.11610@Psilocybe.Update.UU.SE>, Johnny B
> illquist writes:
> >On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Oliver Fuchs wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> I have installed netbsd 2.0 (i386) on my pc celeron with two hard
> >> disks (wd0 and wd1).
> >> After the installation (succeeded) I am not able to boot into netbsd
> >> 2.0 - no matter what I try it ends always up with "No operating
> >> system). Running the shell from the boot cd shows me that everything
> >> is on wd1a installed correctly.
> >> I tried to boot with netbsd boot manger, also tried to boot directly
> >> the second drive (via bios) - but I cannot run into the system.
> >> Did I miss something in the installation/partition procedure.
> >>
> >> FreeBSD 5.3 and OpenBSD 3.6 all runn without any problems on the
> >> second harddrive - only netbsd 2.0 ends up with the error message.
> >
> >Forgot to install the boot block? See installboot(8)
> >

> In particular, you need bootblocks on both drives for this to work.
>
> 		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

I do not get it:
On wd0 I have windowsxp
on wd1 I had FreeBSD 5.3 with bootselector on wd0 (F1 windows F2
FreeBSD)

I then deleted the FreeBSD 5.3 system and put netbsd 1.6.1 on it,
replaced the FreeBSD boot manager with the one from netbsd (fdisk -B
wd0 with F5 booting wd0 and F6 booting wd1 with netbsd). I installed
netbsd with sysinst from a regular boot/install i386 cdrom.
I wanted to do a fresh installation with netbsd 2.0 using a regular
boot/installation cd. I run through sysinst with most of the default
settings. Everything works o.k but I cannot boot. Running installboot
to install e.g. /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1 ends up with a error message
( invalid near "(" ).
So to be honest I do not know how to get sysinst to place this
bootblocks (and why they are not set by the netbsd installation
programm).
So for any further information I am very grateful because this
installation procedure is lasting now the whole weekend and I cannot
figure out why/where it fails.

Oliver

--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit