Subject: Re: Resource needs
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/02/2005 00:12:50
On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 01:14:23PM +0200, Piotr Meyer wrote:

> You may try some VM-tuning, like described on:
> http://www.selonen.org/arto/netbsd/vm_tune.html

So, taking a closer look at the document pointed above, and trying the tips
from Wojciech & Steven - the guys proposed values like below:

Steven:                 Wojciech:

    vm.anonmin=50       vm.anonmin=82
    vm.anonmax=90       vm.anonmax=99
    vm.execmin=20       vm.execmin=10
    vm.execmax=40       vm.execmax=30
    vm.filemin=1        vm.filemin=3
    vm.filemax=3        vm.filemax=6
                        vm.bufcache=5

(and then: sysctl -f /etc/sysctl.conf)

...I must say, now is much, much better. Seems, the default values are
rather "server-oriented". Thanks for help! :)

I think, such ready recipe for "desktopizing" of the NetBSD installation
is worth placing it into the FAQ - isn't it?

I know, it's NetBSD-users - but perhaps someone of you can tell me, does
there exist similar way of memory-usage manipulation under Linux/FreeBSD?
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski