Subject: Re: Resource needs
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/01/2005 20:07:28
On Friday 01 April 2005 20:13, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 12:44:38PM +0000, Martijn van Buul wrote:
> > Comparing the resource usage of NetBSD with a FreeDOS isn't really useful
>
> And because of this I wrote that... "of course, I can install a system less
> resource-hungry - getting in return less possibilities". Wasn't that clear?
>
> I would to know answer to the questions: "NetBSD 2.0 seems to want much
> more memory than Linux with kernel 2.2.26. 1) Is is true - or perhaps I
> need to fix something? 2) If is it true - what I'm getting in return?"

Sorry, but how do you calculate memory requirements for both? Memory allocated
by kernel? By something else? Please, define what exactly you want to know.

For example, i'm running NetBSD/i386 2.x on systems with 16Mb or 32Mb of RAM
and i cannot say it needs all of this. At least i have 2/3 of RAM available
for userland apps. I believe NetBSD can boots just fine with 8Mb of RAM but i
don't have such systems anymore to test it.

// wbr