Subject: Re: -key "introduction"
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/31/2005 08:08:32
Hello Dan,

   DLB> I think the thread is actually talking about grey pad
      > delete, the delete in the pad between main keyboard
      > area and number pad in the pc/xt keyboard, and pc/at
      > keyboard

On my PC keyboard, all my keys are white. I probably have an
old IBM PS/2 keyboard somewhere with grey keys though.  I
have a key marked '<-' above the main Return/Enter key which
I expect sends \010.  I have a Delete key (which I would
expect to send \177) on a small 3x2 cluster above the
inverted-T cursor keys.  On the numeric pad I have a Del key
which should send '.' when Num Lock is on and either \177 or
perhaps Esc O n if it's pretending to be a DEC keyboard.

od doesn't seem all that clear for me (perhaps something is
interpreting backspace before od sees it).  I would be
interested in seeing what codes were generated by each of
these three keys.

I'm running NetBSD/i386-1.6.1 on the only NetBSD machine
here that has a display and keyboard attached.

   DLB> I suppose I will retract any comment about
      > inconsistency , since I don't want to be more
      > consistent with vt220.

But if that's what wscons emulates...?

   DLB> They have CAPS lock where CTRL should be...

Ctrl moved on the PC when the 101/102 key 'extended' key
-boards were introduced.  I preferred the old arrangement
with Ctrl on the home row. See...

      http://grex.cyberspace.org/~ball/notes/us83.text
      http://grex.cyberspace.org/~ball/notes/us84.text
      http://grex.cyberspace.org/~ball/notes/us101.text