Subject: Re: -key "introduction"
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/31/2005 00:02:40
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> In article <424AF154.5020306@earthlink.net>,
> 	Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net> writes:
> > Hello,
> >
> >    JB> Traditionally, the key marked "<X]", "<-" or whatever,
> >     > located above the return key, have sent the ASCII DEL
> >     > character. This key have traditionally been used to
> >     > delete the character to the left of the cursor.
> >
> > wscons emulates a DEC terminal (VT100 with some VT220ish
> > extensions?)  From what I remember of DEC terminals, those
> > have both Backspace (\010) and Delete (\177) keys near the
> > return key.
>
> I have a 420 right here... the "rubout" key sends ASCII DEL,
> while F12, which also says "(BS)" under it, sends Control_H.
> There is no little "Delete" key: the "Insert Here", "Remove"
> and "Select" keys appear to be the inspiration for the the
> PC keyboards "Insert", "Delete" and so on, but they send no
> characters.  Rather, they are used to copy and paste within
> the terminal.

Frederick, that's because you have set your VT420 to behave like a VT100.
Enter setup, and change it to a VT400 instead, and those keys *will* send
codes, along with F12 stop sending BS. (A VT100 don't have any "Remove"
and so on keys, so of course they are dead if you set the terminal to be
like a VT100, but a VT100 do have a BS, LF and ESC key, which is why you
have those marked on F12 to F14 or what ever.)

	Johnny