Subject: Re: -key "introduction"
To: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/30/2005 23:57:18
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Andy Ball wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   JB> Traditionally, the key marked "<X]", "<-" or whatever,
>     > located above the return key, have sent the ASCII DEL
>     > character. This key have traditionally been used to
>     > delete the character to the left of the cursor.
>
> wscons emulates a DEC terminal (VT100 with some VT220ish
> extensions?)  From what I remember of DEC terminals, those
> have both Backspace (\010) and Delete (\177) keys near the
> return key.

Close. The VT100 do have a backspace key, clearly marked "Backspace". I
can't remember offhand exactly where it is located, and I don't have any
VT100 keyboards close by. I think it might be close to the return key, but
I'm not too sure. There is also a linefeed key, which I know is close to
the return key.

The VT200 don't have any backspace key. If you set up the VT200 to behave
like a VT100, F18 (or some such) is made into a backspace key. Not really
close to return any way you measure it. (A VT200 keyboard I do have close
by, several actually, along with VT300, VT400 and VT500 terminals.)

	Johnny