Subject: Re: pkgsrc update procedures
To: Sascha Retzki <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/24/2005 09:15:18
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Sascha Retzki wrote:

> You should really build it all in a, I think the right term is "sandbox", and
> just update the real system if nothing fails.
> That, so far, is the theory. I guess it is hard from a practical point of view.
> Anybody disagree, add want to something?
> Is there already progress into that direction?

Yes. See the Pkgsrc Guide about "Setting up a sandbox for chroot'ed

Also read about the experimental "pkgviews" at

As for me, I use a package build system which is different from my
production system. (Different hardware, but soon will be using a chroot
for this on same hardware.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links