Subject: Re: kernel panic from piixide or something
To: Petter Lindqvist <pollen@astrakan.hig.se>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/23/2005 20:52:44
On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:29:08AM +0100, Petter Lindqvist wrote:
> >Hum, this is bad. The master disk on this channel has serious problems,
> >and doesn't respond to anything anymore. If there is a slave drive on the
> >channel, it's hung too.
> >If you have any active filesystems on these drives, it may be enouth
> >to almost hang the box, as any I/O will complete with large delays.
> >

> Only one disk per channel. Are you sure the disk is b0rken, or could it
> be driver/chipset problems?

Intel chipsets are good and well supported (thanks to intel, the docs
are freely available). It would always be a kernel problem (for example,
some part of memory being corrupted by something else), but the fact
that the box didn't crash while the drive was totally unresponsive really
points to the disk.
Is it reproductible ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>